Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Personalizing the Furniture

Early last spring we knew, as a family, we were soon to grow out of our living situation and began to consider going on the house hunt. One of our biggest considerations was that our only daughter would not be able to share a room with her brothers for much longer, (that is if any of them slept in their own room.) At the same time I could not completely lose my sewing room. So the family joke is that we bought our new home for our daughter.

Finally having her own space meant my girl needed her own bedroom furniture. During one of our weekend garage sale shopping sprees we found a beautiful (3 piece) white French Provincial set. The set includes a dresser, a desk and a nightstand.

Growing up, my sister and I had a French Provincial bedroom set. So this discovery definitely scored high on the nostalgia meter. Thankfully my daughter also loved it.

It took at least another month before we were able to tackle the renovation project, that was new flooring and wall color, for her room. Thankfully that is finally done and the bedroom is put together. As we were moving her furniture in though, I had a brainstorm. I asked her if she would like to have her drawers lined with a faux-velvet fabric. This was something we had seen done in several of the  girl's bedroom sets at furniture stores. A feature that she had really liked. I also just happened to have several colors of this very same type of fabric from a Christmas sewing project I did 4 years ago.

The project was fairly easy to accomplish. All I needed were some accurate measurements of the bottom of the drawers to cut the fabric to the correct size and then some Elmer's spray craft glue. I sprayed the glue onto the drawer base and then waited a couple minutes so that the final hold would be firm but the fabric would not be permanently attached to the drawer. Then I left the drawers out of the dressers for 24 hours to dry and air out. The smell of the spray glue is quite strong. I recommend good ventilation when working with it. It is also a bit of a sticky project. It is a rather like putting contact paper down in a drawer, but with the sticky part on the drawer instead of the fabric. So even done carefully there were a few times I needed to reposition the fabric to get out all of the bubbles and wrinkles. So I definitely did come away with glue on my hands.
 
She chose a navy blue for the top row of drawers in both the dresser and desk. A deep purple for the middle rows and a dark green for the bottom 3 drawers. The nightstand has a warm brown colored fabric. The end effect is quite pretty and it definitely adds her personal flair to the set.
 
Be on the lookout for more posts about home renovation projects. There are several we have completed but also many more to do.

Many blessings to you this fine frosty night.--Kate



1 comment:

Home of the Muddy Kids said...

Love it! What a creative idea!?