Wednesday, March 11, 2015

A Knitting Pattern I Love

Early on in my time working at a yarn shop I discovered a beautiful pattern for a wrap in a Vogue Knitting magazine. It used 20 skeins of bulky alpaca yarn and was knit holding two strands together. (For you knitters out there you know how big that would make the finished project.) It made a huge, thick, luxurious wrap that is completely unwearable. Now I am a tall girl and this thing is way to much even for me, but it is beautiful, so soft and I adore the pattern. The leaves come out almost hand sized. I have had this finished, beautiful wrap sitting in a bag for nearly seven years now. So this pattern that I love has been hidden away.

Finally I decided that it was time to remake this pattern with yarn that was much more practical. I found a gorgeous angora/cotton blend that I have had in my stash for probably 10 years. I followed the pattern exactly still using two strands together, but knit with a size 10 needle, (instead of 19) and a much thinner yarn (DK weight.)
 

I am totally thrilled with the finished product. A thick, luxurious scarf that is completely wearable, (but probably better suited for the colder days of winter.)
 *The humor of posting a winter item the day after I posted a summer top is not missed by me, I assure you.

The pattern was from the Vogue Knitting International Magazine - '08/'09 Winter issue. It is one that can be purchased on Ravelry for $5 if you fall in love with it as I did.

Many blessings to you on this fine night.--Kate

P.S. Here is a size comparison with my daughter.

No comments: