Saturday, February 4, 2017

Make A Girl A New Pair of Boots.

My girl has been asking me to teach her how to sew for a while now. I do have a few simple projects for her to try, but there have been other activities and projects that have been filling our time lately. Then this past Sunday we had a rare day where the whole family was together and without obligation. So we decided to run some errands together. At our Michaels stop I found these adorable boots that you can decorate with DIY charms, tassels and fringe. The biggest step in the project was designing and sewing charms. I thought it might be the perfect introduction to sewing for my girl.

It was a fabulous and fun project for the two of us to work on together. My girl also gained some new confidence and skills for design and sewing. Plus Olivia now has a fancy pair of boots, that can be decorated over and over again.
I love teaching my daughter life skills that have been handed down through many generations of women in my family. I know that this has been a loved and much used skill for at least 4 generations. My grandmother's aunt who did sewing jobs for others. My grandmother, who made baby clothes for all of her grandchildren, many great grandchildren as well as a house full of beautiful collectors items. My mother who sews amazing quilts and outfits for her grand-babies and many other awesome creations. Finally, I have been working as a contract seamstress for the past 6 years and so many years before that sewing. I could not be more thrilled that my daughter is interested in learning how to sew.

Many blessings to you this fine stitch filled (and snow filled) day.--Kate

No comments: