Thursday, March 16, 2017

Sweet Siblings

I have been thinking a lot about siblings in the last two days.Thinking about how much I cherish and miss my siblings. My big brother who lives clear across the country in Boston, and who I have not seen since my little sisters wedding four and a half years ago. Though my sister lives much closer, I still do not see her as often as would be nice or talk with her as much as I should.

I spend much of my time marveling at the sibling relationship growing, changing and strengthening between my three kids. Sometimes in the small quiet moments when the oldest two are coloring pictures for one of their frequently planned event extravaganzas, or helping in bath with their baby brother. Sometimes in the loud moments when they're playing imagination games. My daughter nearly brought me to tears when she cheered her brother on for being brave enough to swim with his face in the water. Most nights the baby wanders up the stairs with the big kids as they are getting ready for bed. Just to be with them a little longer. Once they are securely tucked in he wanders back downstairs to start his own bedtime routine. These three are amazing and it is my strongest desire that they always find reasons and time to love and support each other.
The biggest reason siblings are on my mind though is because my mom's brother is dying. My sweet Uncle Butch. A man I had the privilege to get to know better during my college days. Who rejoiced when learning I was going to marry and gave my soon to be husband a hard time about being sure to treat me right. He and my Aunt Sheila always opened their home to us when we where traveling and visiting in the area. He delighted in each of my three babies and they still welcomed our growing, rowdy, noisy family into their home. He has meant the world to me, so I can not even imagine how my mother feels.
My mom is the only girl with three brothers. Sadly this is not the first brother they have lost. Thirty years ago this fall, their middle brother passed. My grandfather was in the military, so my mom (and her brothers) moved a LOT as kids. Her siblings would be the only friends she could take with her. To all those new states, new cities, new schools, new neighborhoods. Through all those "new" experiences her brothers would be there with her. I realize by this point in their lives they have grown up, grown away, grown their own families and watched those children have children of their own. Still a sibling is your first friend, the first to know who you really are and choose to love you anyway.
 
Many prayers and blessings this fine and reflective night.--Kate

No comments: