Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Updating the command center.

My sewing room has been in rough shape for quite some time now. In fact I have had a few deep cleaning sessions in this room and the fix always seems to be temporary. The need to get this space in order was one of the biggest motivators for this blog. So about a week before my first post I got started with this transformation. I knew that it was going to be a huge project. The following pictures show you where I started. Yikes!







My intent was to design a space that encourages the completion of projects. A space where I can be creative and productive. Heavens, a space where I can actually find what I am looking for so that I do not spend half my time looking in bins and boxes only to discover that it is actually at the bottom of that precarious pile over there. My sewing room was admittedly unusable and rapidly getting worse. I did not even fully know what projects I had that needed to be finished, because so many were stashed away in boxes and baskets. Then every new project was added to the closest pile or tucked away in a bin or tossed into some dark corner. 

There have been a few large changes to the room that have made a huge difference in my ability to get organized. First, I have removed one of my industrial machines, the big serger in the back corner. It just was not able to give me the stitch quality I need for my professional sewing contracts. So the serger has moved out, temporarily to the garage, until I can get it sold. Then the dresser moved in. Originally this was a piece in my husband and my bedroom but it just did not fit anymore. In trying to decide what to do with the dresser I realized that it would be a great place to keep track of the projects I need to finish.

So everything has been brought out into the light so I can actually see what I have. Projects that have gone back into bins have been labeled and the projects that are next on the "to do" list are organized in the dresser drawers. Tool and little parts have been organized in the carts and cabinets and the project books are on the shelves. 





There is still some spit and polish to be done. But all in all I am quite happy with the outcome. 

Many blessings to you on this fine and orderly day--Kate

2 comments:

Janene said...

Awesome! Great job!! Love the little cubicles with the super colorful canvasy drawer-like cube baskety thingies.

Kate said...

Thanks. Those cubes and baskety thingies are also great for getting the kids' room organized.