Monday, February 16, 2015

Cheese Pizza with Cauliflower Crust.

Cheese Pizza with Cauliflower Crust

I have been checking out several recipes for breads that use some really interesting alternatives for grain. This was my first foray into that world. 

I am constantly amazed at all the different recipes that use cauliflower as a substitute. We have many times made cauliflower mashed faux-tatoes. I have seen a recipe that uses cauliflower to make tortillas. There is also a cauliflower bread stick recipe that looks really good. (That will probably be my next cauliflower experiment.) I chose cauliflower pizza crust because my kids love pizza and finding a grain-free alternative makes me happy. I also figured having it be pizza increased my chances of actually getting them to eat it. Boy was I right, they each scarfed down three pieces. It was a huge hit and best of all it was really easy and fast to make. We just had a plain cheese pizza this time but now that we know it is so very tasty we will probably be more daring on the next attempt.

Ingredients
  • 2 cups cauliflower florets
  • 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 cup tomato sauce mixed with 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning, 1/2 tsp minced garlic, and 1/2 tsp sea salt

Directions

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Grease cookie sheet with butter or coconut oil. Grate the cauliflower with a cheese grater. Place in water in a stainless steel pan and cook for 12 minutes. Mix together the grated cauliflower, egg, and half of the cheese. Transfer to the cookie sheet, and using your hands, pat out into a round about 1/4” thick. Brush olive oil over top of crust. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven. Add tomato sauce, remaining cheese, and your choice of toppings. Return to oven for 5–10 minutes, just until cheese is melted.










 










Enjoy!

Many blessings to you on this fine night.--Kate

No comments: