Sunday, February 1, 2015

Life Unexpected

Life is a strung garland of unexpected moments. Like running into a long time friend, whom you have not seen in a while, when out running errands. A beautiful snow storm after a week of spring time temperatures. A really bad choice in the last twenty seconds of the big game. (Really, what were you thinking Seahawks?)

Sometimes an unexpected moment turns out to be a life changing moment. Sometimes a quiet, expected Saturday night is shattered when you receive a phone call letting you know that your mother is in the hospital and is really not doing well. Sometimes your whole world turns upside down when Pneumonia turns into Congestive Heart Failure and that turns into emergency open heart surgery. Sometimes you are not sure you will catch your breath again and at the same time wondering how you are still holding it all together. Every moment you pass through seems to be precariously balanced. I have sat in many medical waiting rooms but the day spent waiting with my sister to see if our mama would make it through her valve replacement was one of the worst.

She did make it through and she has been a wonder in her healing process, made all the more miraculous knowing how very close things where to having a very different outcome. That has probably been the most amazing thing about this entire experience, the feeling that my mom has been held in the Lord's hand the whole time. From the very beginning, even while she waited for the ambulance my mom said she could feel her angels with her. The doctors and medical staff that surrounded my mother in the next few days were amazing. My husband who could not be with me because he was working at a different hospital spoke with everyone he knew to find out who the best surgeon and surgical team were and then pulled every sting he could to make sure my mom became their patient. They were an AMAZING surgical team.

This whole unexpected moment has been terrifying and faith affirming. I also feel really blessed that my mom made it through. I certainly have many more unexpected moments that I want my mom to be here for and I know that she is not ready to be done with a life full of her own unexpected moments.

Many blessings to you on this fine night--Kate

P.S. It is nice to be back.


No comments: