Saturday, February 7, 2015

Old toys, new friends

We met a new friend today and were able to pass along some of our old treasures. The friend is the 1 year old niece of Rob's coworker, Jen. She is also a good friend to our family.
Our new friend is as cute as a button and my kids were thrilled to pass along their outgrown items to her. A few days ago the idea of parting with these old toys was scary. Today they kept coming down with more and more things that they thought she might like. There were no battles, no tears, just smiles, laughter and the joy of sharing. I had a strong suspicion that would be the case since both of my kids have loving, generous hearts.

Our new friend was a bit overwhelmed by it all but I believe that she will find much delight and entertainment from her new toys, just as my kids did. Jen was also a bit overwhelmed I think, she offered to pay us something for all that she was getting. We all said "No way." Much of what we have is because of the generous hearts of others, that is the way that it is done. It is also one of my favorite parts of being a mother (a parent,) being a part of this community and the traditions of motherhood. I think providing care and support to one another is the greatest gift we give and receive.

Many blessings to you on this fine evening.--Kate

No comments: