Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Old Angora Sweater, New Ear-Warmer.

A few years ago when my grandmother past I helped my mother pack up the estate so the house could sell. My grandmother was an amazing craftswoman and artist. She is the one who taught my mom who is also an amazing craftswoman and artist and my mom taught me.

When all of the grandchildren grew up, my grandmother switched from sewing clothes to creating beautiful porcelain dolls and fuzzy fur teddy bears. (she also made her own greeting cards.) So let us just say that my grandmother's sewing/hobby room was a treasure trove of wonders.

Besides being very talented my grandmother was quite lovely and had a beautiful sense of style. My grandmother was super petite though, I do not think she quite weighed 100 lbs and was maybe 5 feet tops. I have 12 inches on her and 30 lbs so there was no way her clothes were going to fit me. I still selected a few precious items. That really reminded me of her or that I might have a chance of wearing if altered.

One item was a luxurious white cashmere sweater. I have been trying to come up with something I could make from it. Today a had a great idea.

It is beautiful here in the Inland Northwest, blue skies, sunshine but it is still quite cold. The sunshine pulls me and the kiddos outside. The bitter wind chill sends us right back in. My biggest weakness in the chilly temperatures is cold ears. Once my ears get cold, I start to get a major headache and can not stand staying outside one more second. That is where today's brainstorm came in.
I took a section off the bottom of the sweater and turned it into an ear-warmer. I am not completely finished. I still want to embellish it, but it is at least functional. My ears shall be toasty warm and happy and I shall have a lovely reminder of my grandmother.

Many blessings on this fine night.--Kate

P.S. Here is how I used the fabric flowers from last Tuesday's project.



No comments: