Monday, October 27, 2014

A taste of harvest.

I love the winter squashes, but Rob only really likes one variety, the pumpkin. In fact pumpkin pie is Rob's favorite birthday dessert. So one of the first snack foods I found when we started the Maximized eating plan was a recipe for Grain-less pumpkin muffins.

I have made them many times because they have been a big hit with the whole family. Especially with my husband because they have a pumpkin pie texture to them. I am a recipe tinkerer. The first time I make something I follow the recipe (mostly) but after that I like to try to perfect the recipe. Every batch has been good, but the ones I worked up today are especially so.

I will give you the original recipe and then let you know what additions I made.


Grain-less Pumpkin Muffins

Ingredients:
-1/2 can Pure pumpkin puree (7.5oz)
-2 Eggs
-1/4 tsp Stevia (liquid)
4 Tbsp Butter (organic)
1 tsp pure Vanilla
3/4 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Nutmeg
1 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Cloves
1/4 tsp Ginger
1/2 tsp Salt
1 cup Almond Flour.

Directions:
-In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients EXCEPT Flour.
-Mix well with hand mixer (or machine). Stir in Almond flour. Batter will be very think.
-Spoon batter into muffin cups.
-Bake for 25-30 minutes at 325 degrees. (I do 15 min, 10 min, 3 min. and I turn the trays each time I open the door.)
-Will have a pumpkin pie texture.





So the first change in this batch is that I used fresh pumpkin that I roasted in the oven. It was a small pumpkin so each half was about 1 cup of puree. I still used Stevia but I added Xylitol. I also used milk to thin the batter so it was the consistency of pancake batter. (Maybe a bit thicker.) Finally I added chocolate chips.

The ingredients: (doubled batch)
-1 cup fresh pumpkin
-4 Eggs
-1/4 tsp Stevia
-1/3 cup Xylitol
-1/2 cup Butter
2 tsp pure Vanilla
1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
3 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp Nutmeg
1/2 tsp Clove
1/2 tsp Ginger
1 tsp Salt
2 cups Almond flour
2/3 cup Milk (raw)
2/3 cup Chocolate chips (bitter sweet)

*I mixed the milk in after the Almond flour and then just stirred the chocolate chips in with a rubber scrapper.



The chocolate chips definitely make it a dessert muffin.

Many blessings to you this fine night--Kate

No comments: