Saturday, November 1, 2014

Pen Pals

I remember trying a few times to write to pen pals when I was a kid. It never lasted very long, but it was a lot of fun. My oldest had a glorious summer spent playing with new neighbors. Unfortunately when fall came they unexpectedly had to move away. There was a deep sense of heartbreak. It is still an adjustment to not have friends that might show up at your door and be ready to play at any moment. To make up for the lost there has been a lot of drawing, coloring and a claim that she wants to stay in touch with her friend.

So today's surprise is a letter to be sent to a far away friend. This was entirely her idea. She still frequently speaks of how much she misses her friend and hopes to see her again. I think this creation and the chance to maintain some sort of connection offers her a little bit of comfort. It has been a learning experience for me to watch how the very young process and deal with loss.



This has been a good lesson for me to learn from my girl. Her thoughtful heart is my delight.

Many blessings to you on this fine All Saints Day--Kate

No comments: