Friday, October 10, 2014

Cleaning up can be fun.

Now do not get me wrong, cleaning is not my favorite way to spend my time. Sometime though you can find simple pleasures that make the job more enjoyable. That leads me to my favorite for the day, homemade laundry soap.This is a relatively new addition to our household. We had switched to a dye and perfume (free and clear) detergent when my first babe was born, but since starting a Maximized lifestyle, it is recommended to try to rid your life of as many toxin as you can. To date we have changed our hand soap, dish washing detergents and our laundry. The body soaps, shampoo, conditioner and toothpaste will be next.

The laundry soap was the most exciting change, because I put it together myself. I have a mommy friend who has made her own laundry soap for years. So based on what I remember her saying and the recipes I found on-line, I decided to start with something simple and see how it worked. It worked great! The clothes came out clean and smelling fresh. They really looked and smelled clean. They honestly seemed much cleaner then the, free and clear detergent ever got them.

So the Laundry soap recipe. 
-1 box of Borax 
-1 box of Washing Soda
-1 bar of Fels Naptha (finely grated)



Fels Naptha is not perfect when is comes to environmental friendliness. There are colors and perfumes added. There have also been several formula changes during it's 100 plus years. For me though, I have been using it as a pretreatment on my kids clothes and it works so very well at getting all the really tough stains out. It does not leave residue behind in their clothes either. 

So homemade laundry soap is a definite favorite. 

Many blessings to you on this fine day--Kate

No comments: