Saturday, February 18, 2017

Sitting on Cloud Nine

During this past year I had a few BIG projects that I accomplished. The biggest was finally making a set of cushions for the rocking chair. A chair that I also used, without cushion, to rock my first two babies. I also made a new cover for the couch.

For the rocking chair cushion, I went to Jo-Ann, and purchased the firm 3 inch foam. Then I had to figure out the measurements and how to cut through the foam. One time while at Jo-Ann I noticed them cutting it with an electric carving knife. Brilliant, but not a tool I have on hand. I did have a pair of really sharp scissors though that I used to slice through it. The foam was not quite the right size for the back of the rocking chair and I had to add an extra 3 inches. I secured it with a set of wooden chopsticks from a local restaurant. Rather like how a headrest is attached in a car. Then I created a protective liner for the cushions and finally the cover.
 
 
The couch cover was much easier. Since the couch is also a futon. I basically just made a fitted sheet for it. The rainbow cloud material is a fleece. I also have a laminate layer on the couch cover to protect from kid messes. The whole thing can easily be tossed in the washer and dryer.

 
It was a fun project and it is so nice to finally have some padding on the rocking chair. For years it was just old blankets or pillows.

Many blessings this fine day.--Kate

No comments: