Wednesday, February 8, 2017

A Real Inland Northwest Winter

I have spent all but 6 and a half years in the same region. This is the first winter in a really long time that feels like the winters I remember in the 1980's. Where the snow starts in Mid-November and there is still snow on the ground and storms through the month of February.

Even though I do not enjoy the reckless drivers and the narrow icy roads, I am really enjoying the snow. I like that we have had nearly three months of winter white and rosy cheeks. Making snowmen, snow angels and lots of tracks in the snow. Actually having a chance to enjoy the sledding hills, (that still get too icy.) We also still love going to the parks. Those large open areas that are great for running, falling, digging and sliding on snow.
 

Wet, brown winters do not make the season pass any faster and I am way more likely to let my kids go out and play in the snow then the mud puddles. The kids are able to add a different level of creativity to their play. Climbing to the top of the 10+ foot snow banks. Trying to walk on top of the iced over snow. Digging snow holes and pretending they are hibernating, adventurers waiting out a blizzard or captives of some snow monster.



Now, if only there were a way to get people to drive better in the snow, I think winter could be a favorite season.

Many blessings this snowy evening.--Kate
Even the cat has been enjoying the snow.

No comments: