Thursday, February 9, 2017

Icebreakers

You know the best thing about icebreaker games? They get people talking, sharing their stories, offering up little pieces of what makes them unique, interesting, and special.

So I am inviting you to join in on an icebreaker.  You are stranded on a desert island and you can only bring three things with you. What do you bring? There are a few ground rules. First, it is not very interesting to bring the essentials. Of course you will need food and water. You could even try to be funny and say toilet paper, I have a four year old boy, I am all caught up on the potty humor. Let's just say the essential are covered, be more creative. Second, absolutely no "modern" technology. I understand you can not possibly live without your smart phone or iPad, but we are going old school here. Please, be more interesting. Finally, and sorry for you super extroverts, but no other people. People are not things anyway, but maybe if you are clever enough you might bring something that can get the people to you. Be thoughtful, be creative, be daring enough to share a little something about yourself. Something that might show a bit of what makes you unique, interesting and special. Humor is also, always encouraged.

If I was stranded on a desert island the three things I would bring are...

My favorite book, "The Last Unicorn" by Peter S. Beagle. There are very few books that I have read more then once and there are no books that I have read as often as I have read this one. When I was a little girl I watched the animated movie made in the 80's. I loved it. Then on one of my frequent trip to a used book store in Seattle "Twice Sold Tales", I found this little old book on the shelf and I wondered if it was the same story. Imagine my delight when I realized it was. When ever I need a truly beautiful story, I find my copy of "The Last Unicorn."

My stuffed elephant that has been with me since I was very young. This old girl, Ellie, has gone on every journey, been through every heartbreak and has been long and well loved. She has been loved nearly flat. I could not imagine going anywhere without her.

Finally, a notebook and pencil. I realize that is technically two, but they are used as one unit. (Plus, it is my game.) This choice was much harder to make. With the first two, I did not really even have to think about it. For this final choice there were actually a lot of possibilities. There are a lot of things I like to do. (Knitting needles could easily have made the list.) When I really took a moment though I realized that having a notebook (or five,) on hand to jot down the ideas that come to mind is a core part of what makes me who I am.

So that is what I would bring. I would love to know what you would want with you.

Many blessings this fine, fun day.--Kate


No comments: