Tuesday, February 7, 2017

"Spring" Cleaning?

My spring cleaning bug never bites in the spring. It could be because by spring all I want, is to be out enjoying the beautiful days. So every year about this time I get motivated to rearrange the furniture and try to get some clutter out.

Right now the big project is thinning and organizing the book collection. All the members of our family love books so we are getting a little over run. I have decided that any books or series I am willing to check out from the library are not books I need to keep. There are many books that I would never be willing to part with, but I will still be able to remove a lot from the piles this way. Perhaps free up a little space in the process.
I have learned as the years pass and the kids get older and start to discover their own interests and hobbies that our living space keeps feeling smaller and smaller. I am a habitual collector, but even I am starting to feel a little overwhelmed and claustrophobic. So my plan is that by spring we will have gone through all of the major area of clutter and collection and exchanged it for order and organization. Wish me luck.

Many blessings this fine day.--Kate

1 comment:

Teri said...


Hmm! Only three things. Who am I? What would I need to be content on a desert island or anywhere? Okay, no people but you said nothing about a pet. I would have to have a dog or maybe a cat which could forage better for itself. But I'm afraid of the dark and in case of danger, a cat would just climb a tree but a dog would be at my side protecting me. My mother was a huge animal lover so we grew up with lots of pets, dogs, cats, birds, fish, turtles, guinea pigs, hamsters and sea horses. When I went off to college, I had a cat in the boarding house at the U of Texas, the dorm and apartment at WSU and even in the living area at Deaconess when I trained for a year to be a med tech. So I would definitely need my dog.

Second would be a photo album filled with photos of my family starting with my mom & dad & three brothers. Next would come my own family, husband and three children and finally all my beautiful grandchildren. All those wonderful memories. But better yet would be a box with my photo album inside and also all the wonderful Shutterfly albums and calendars of my grandchildren growing up made for me by my children, Mark, Kati & Keri.

The last thing is not so easy, but one needs to keep busy on a desert island and I really love art in all its many forms. Creating something beautiful is an important part of who I am and my enjoyment of life. I think we crave color which is why we want winter to be over with all its white, gray and dull browns. We want sunshine and blue skies and green grass and lots of flowers of every hue. I guess, I can't beam Pinot's Palette to the island but I can take an adult coloring book with lots of colored pencils

So there you have it.......my dog, a box of photo albums of my family and a coloring book.